In an attempt to use up as many items in my pantry and fridge as possible (cause i’m gettin the eff outta here soon), I put together this impromptu grain salad. It’s the perfect thing to eat if you want to pretend that it’s spring. Plus, it will make you feel better about yourself. And, you need that.
-1 cup quinoa (I used a mixture of red and white. You could use only quinoa for this recipe, which I was planning to do, but I didn’t have enough, so I added the barley. You could use pretty much any grain for that matter, or even pasta if you want to make it less legit.)
-1 cup barley
-1 lb. fingerling potatoes, 1″ dice
-1/2 medium cucumber, quartered & diced
-1 medium heriloom tomato, diced
-1 garlic clove, minced
-2 whole scallions, sliced thinly on diagonal
-1/4 cup miso dressing (recipe below) (this is optional. I simply had it leftover from another salad and thought it would work well. You could substitute all lemon juice and olive oil, with extra salt and pepper, to dress the salad if you’d like. But you should make this. Shit’s delicious.)
-juice from 1 lemon
– 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
-salt & pepper to taste
-chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
1. boil salted water and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes, until fork tender
2. while your potatoes cook, cook your grains (separately, if using a variety) according to package instructions.
3. meanwhile, chop up your tomato, cucumber, garlic, and scallion and add to a big mixing bowl
4. drain your cooked potatoes, run briefly under cool water to stop the cooking, and add to the veggies, along with the cooked grains
5. pour in the dressing, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper. Toss well to distribute dressing.
6. Serve with chopped parsley & perhaps a lemon wedge for garnish if you want to get fancy on yourself
MISO DRESSING (from The Kind Life) (makes about 1 cup)
1/4 cup umeboshi vinegar
1 Tbsp finely minced fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp. stone-ground mustard
4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. brown rice syrup
1 tsp. white miso
whisk all ingredients together until well combined. pour over salad. love it.